Vertical Scratchers

Record Routine: Vertical Scratchers' first effort offers unique sound, lacks cohesion

Vertical Scratchers’ debut Daughters of Everything delivers an album packed full of energy, soothing vocals and enough garage-band aura to get listeners pumped up for each and every song.

Having yet to create a sound to identify with, Vertical Scratchers keep the formula simple with the traditional guitar, bass and drum lineup, while making minor adjustments to create something new with every track. The album is also very spastic, jumping from one song to the next, creating a slightly different sound each time.

The duo kicks the door open with the first track “Wait No Longer,” creating an enthusiastic intro for the band’s unveiling. Songs like “Memory Shards” offer more energetic melodies and spacey vocals, where “Someone” creates a dreary rhythm, as if all of the band’s energy has been sucked away. It’s a constant rollercoaster ride of tempo switches and pacing variations outlining the album’s schizophrenic nature. Daughter of Everything’s magic lies in its ability to keep listeners on their toes, constantly adding originality to the band’s potential.

While Vertical Scratchers are fun to listen to, looking for anything deeper is pointless. The band's inconsistent sound and lyrics never come together to make the album feel like a complete set—it comes off as more of a sampler than a testimony to their talent.

Daughter of Everything is a bundle of assorted treats. The album holds various flavors of early '90s indie rock and psychedelic punk, accompanied by enough variations in style to keep things interesting throughout all 15 tracks. Vertical Scratchers’ debut doesn’t give a clear idea of what the band sets out to be, but the various tastes offered in their first album give me high hopes for the duo’s future aspirations.

Rating: B