Rome Fortune—Beautiful Pimp II

Record Routine: Atlanta rapper lays down good beats and OK rhymes on second mixtape

After Atlanta-native rapper Rome Fortune made his debut last year with Beautiful Pimp, he’s following it up in 2014 with his second mixtape, appropriately titled Beautiful Pimp II. While the mixtape is nothing groundbreaking, Beautiful Pimp II is a very enjoyable listen, creating a spotlight for the up-and-coming rapper.

The most noticeable difference with Beautiful Pimp II is the lack of outside help. Fortune’s first mixtape sported features on almost every track, and a handful of different producers were used throughout the album. With Beautiful Pimp II, everything is produced by CitoOnTheBeat, and there is almost a complete lack of featured artists, with the exception of Fortune’s son singing on one track and his grandfather playing the vibraphone on several others.

The biggest area for improvement resides in Fortune’s lyrical prowess. The complexity of his rap is very basic, with a lot of verses being executed in a choppy arrangement. Fortune doesn’t deliver very much depth either, leaving nothing to be gained after each song ends, which makes the album feel a bit out of focus.

Fortune’s weakness behind the microphone is only salvaged by his decision to stick with CitoOnTheBeat throughout the whole album’s production. Rome’s slow-paced rapping is complemented perfectly by the mellow beats that accompany him. The intoxicating rhythms keep a slow tempo that helps Fortune stick out from the current trend of adrenaline-fueled trap rap coming out of Atlanta.

Beautiful Pimp II’s beauty lies in its simplicity. Without the need for a full team of producers and features, Rome Fortune uses this mixtape to display his own creative arsenal. Beautiful Pimp II is just a fun album to listen to, and it stands out as a breath of fresh air in the rap industry.

Rating: B