Rec Sports puts final touches on ballot language

University of Wisconsin-Madison Recreational Sports sought feedback Monday from the Associated Students of Madison Student Judiciary on ballot language for a proposal to redevelop its facilities.

Students will vote to support or block the Master Plan in March, which includes rebuilding the SERF and the Natatorium as well as upgrading outdoor fields near the Natatorium.

Rec Sports director John Horn said he is concerned about the length and clarity of the referendum.

“We wanted to provide enough detail, but we also wanted to have ease of use and reading, so the vote is easily understandable and easy for the students,” Horn said.

Horn presented a draft document, which included an explanation of the Master Plan, a bulleted list of new amenities and a breakdown of the anticipated cost per cite and funding resources.

Student Judiciary Chief Justice-elect Adam Wald said because funding resources are not finalized and additional donations could reduce the actual student cost, Rec Sports should simplify the referendum wording.

“Putting all of this information on the actual referendum just wouldn’t make for a very accurate referendum,” Wald said.

The Student Judiciary recommended Rec Sports revise the referendum to include a brief summary of the Master Plan and a request to support or deny an increase in student segregated fees up to $127.11 million. Students will be asked to support no more than 57 percent of the total cost. 

The committee also suggested putting a link to the Master Plan website within the referendum to direct students to the detailed plans.

Horn said he would consider the Student Judiciary’s feedback and send a revised version of the referendum to the committee by Feb. 10.

The Student Judiciary also considered an appeal of its 2013 decision, in which it said the Student Services Finance Committee did not violate bylaws when it denied the Multicultural Student Coalition funding eligibility.

MCSC raised more than 20 concerns in its appeal, including the Student Judiciary’s failure to consider the history of the organization, make notes easily accessible and consider all points the organization made in its argument.

The Student Judiciary voted 4-1 to deny MCSC’s request for an appeal.

This story was updated Tuesday, Feb. 4 at 11:00 p.m to reflect that students will be asked to support no more than 57 percent of the total project.