Madison police find suspect convicted of theft

Madison police arrested a man Friday convicted of robbing a 64-year-old woman of her jacket at the Downtown Visitor Center, according to an incident report.

According to the report, William Hunter approached the victim working at 452 State St. Feb. 8. Hunter noticed the woman’s “Downtown Madison Ambassador” jacket draped over the back of her chair. Hunter said the jacket belonged to him before the victim held it out to assure he was mistaken.

The woman and some bystanders attempted to stop Hunter from taking the jacket out of the woman’s hands before he fled the building, according to the report.

Hunter’s actions were recorded on a surveillance camera, according to the report. An officer identified the suspect Wednesday afternoon while monitoring live cameras during an incident in which Hunter was involved. The officer contacted colleagues before the Madison Police tracked Hunter down and took him into custody, according to the report. Police found Hunter with two open bottles of alcohol and synthetic marijuana.

Madison Police returned the “Downtown Madison Ambassador” jacket to the Downtown Visitor Center Thursday afternoon, according to the report.