Legislative Affairs 2.4.14

Legislative Affairs members discuss the Responsible Action Bill, which a state Senate committee will take up Wednesday.

Legislative Affairs prepares for Senate committee hearing

The Associated Students of Madison Legislative Affairs Committee focused conversation at a meeting Monday on the student-initiated Responsible Action Bill, which will be heard at a Senate committee later this week.

The purpose behind the Responsible Action Bill is to lend immunity to consequences to underage drinkers who strive to help either themselves or others in emergency situations.

The bill was created by University of Wisconsin-Madison junior and committee chair Morgan Rae during her freshman year, as a part of her internship campaign.

The Senate Committee on Universities and Technical Colleges will hear the bill Wednesday, with testimonies from all in attendance.

“If [the senate committee] votes for it, it gets referred to the entire Senate and the Senate will have to take a vote on it,” Rae said, adding that the bill must eventually also be approved by the state assembly.

Legislative Affairs Committee members also discussed the possibility of pursuing a campaign that would tackle residency issues in Wisconsin, especially for students.

Conversation centered around the rising cost of higher education and the even larger price tag for nonresidents.

Committee member Madison Laning said she personally knew a UW-Madison student who had to drop out and work in Madison for a year to establish residency in order to be able to afford a four-year tuition.

Members discussed the possibility of pursuing the effort to grant students residency and cited the idea of issuing residency to those who work within the state.