Broken Bells—"After the Disco"

James Mercer and Danger Mouse deliver enjoyable but forgettable album

Broken Bells’ After the Disco is fun and enjoyable. However, people will lose interest once more daring, impressive works come out later in the year. The Shins’ frontman, James Mercer, employs his usual melodramatic lyrics and folk-twang while Danger Mouse produces more modern percussion and synths in order to give the album its own original, pop vibe. The album feels similar to the first Broken Bells album, but with a more polished and upbeat sound. A safe, enjoyable effort, After the Disco instills Mercer or Danger Mouse’s ability to make music that satisfies their existing fan base.

After the Disco provides no memorable or heavy-hitting lyrics. It’s James Mercer’s banal storytelling of dissatisfaction and dealing with life’s problems, as seen in every Shins song. The overarching theme reflects the title of the album. After a night out, all the problems and responsibilities in life still remain. Each song feels lyrically the same as the last. However, the musical production and instrumental choices make up for this.

The album’s opener, “Perfect World,” combines different musical elements for an impressive result. It’s upbeat, has a driving rhythm, and incorporates some original musical choices such as switching up the tempo at the end and jumbling synth sounds that work together. After “Perfect World,” the album starts to pick and choose which songs are worth a listen. “After the Disco” and “Holding On for Life” keep from being Shins B-sides because of Danger Mouse’s production skill. They use a Daft Punk funk sound and an impressive guitar-and-drum pad dichotomy, respectively, to display originality and maintain interest. “Leave It Alone” and “Lazy Wonderland” belong on a Shins’ album more than a Broken Bells album, and “Medicine” and “The Angel and the Fool” break the monotony of After the Disco with unique percussion and synths.

The album ends with “The Remains of Rock & Roll,” which encapsulates the album’s general tone. Fuzzy, distorted guitar sounds complemented by different drum patterns and computer-generated beats drive the rhythm throughout. Mercer’s voice melodically flows along, singing lyrics that are sometimes hard to understand, but ultimately don’t affect the song, and when it ends, listeners are left with nothing but a fondness for what they heard.

It’s as if they listened to the Postal Service’s Give Up and wanted to try to make their version. Like Give Up, After the Disco has catchy singles and songs that satisfy listeners. However, unlike Give Up, people won’t still talk about After the Disco years after it was released.

Rating: B-