Cibo Matto—Hotel Valentine

Cibo Matto still shines 12 years after breakup

Meaning “crazy food” in Italian, Cibo Matto has a second definition to members of New York’s music scene. Japanese-born Yuka Honda and Miho Hatori disbanded their indie rock group Cibo Matto 12 years ago, citing, “it was time.” Now, the duo has teamed up with drummer Yuko Araki to revive the group and release their first album in 15 years.

Hotel Valentine, Cibo Matto’s third full-length album released Tuesday, was promoted as a concept album, describing falling in love in a hotel with ghosts. The track list itself seems to describe the progression through one’s time at the ‘Hotel Valentine.’

Bookending the album are tracks “Check In” and “Check Out,” two halves of the group’s signature sounds. The former is a loud, brash indie rock track featuring loud bass and electronic additions, with Hatori’s vocals seeping throughout the song, while the later is a smooth ballad, complimenting the harsher tones of “Check In.”

Two of the group’s former members, Sean Lennon and Duma Love, have left indelible marks on both Honda and Hatori, as shown through the tracks “Déjà Vu” and “MFN.” “Déjà Vu” is reminiscent of ’90s R&B and Bossa Nova, with smooth beatbox recordings and progressive beats, which Love featured in the group’s 1999 release Stereo * Type A. The mid-album song “MFN” features near-carbon copy vocals of Lennon’s contributions to the group from the mid-’90s, harkening back to his brash lyricism and vocal talent.

While the first half of the album highlights what Cibo Matto was known for in New York during the late ’90s, the second half of Hotel Valentine allows for the three members to experiment with their abilities. The lyrical wit of Honda and Hatori is put on display in songs like “Housekeeping” and “Empty Pool,” which compliments Araki’s contribution on the drums. Their skillful musicianship has aged well over the decade, and Araki’s addition only adds to the group’s talent.

After their 12-year break, Cibo Matto seems to be back on track to revive their electro-bossa nova soul that they pioneered in the 1990s, and shows to their fans that the hiatus was well deserved.

Rating: A