Bill to allow mandated newborn heart screening moves to state Senate

The Senate Committee on Health and Human Services approved a state Senate bill Monday that would expand the ability of the Wisconsin Department of Health Services to require hospitals to administer tests for congenital heart defects in newborns.

Congenital heart defects, the current leading cause of infant deaths, can be successfully identified through a pulse oximetry test, which measures the percentage of hemoglobin in the blood that is saturated with oxygen, according to a press release from state Sen. Jerry Petrowski, R-Marathon, one of bill’s authors.

Currently, the DHS can only mandate hospitals administer blood or urine tests on newborns. State Sen. Leah Vukmir, R-Wauwatosa, said the pulse oximetry test, which is conducted through a transponder taped to the hand or foot of the infant, cannot yet be considered for requirement.

“As research and technology improves, I believe it’s especially important that DHS have the flexibility to keep up with modern practices,” Petrowski said in a statement.

Petrowski expressed optimism, saying he was confident the bill would have support in both chambers and be quickly signed into law by Gov. Scott Walker.

The bill will now move to the Senate floor.