ALRC 02262014

Alcohol License Review Committee approves festival licenses, discusses overlay district

The Alcohol License Review Committee discussed the Alcohol Overlay District and approved several temporary alcohol licenses for street events in a meeting Wednesday.

ALRC further discussed amendments to Madison General Ordinances, including the addition of an Alcohol Overlay District in the zoning code and clarifying regulations for restaurants, taverns and nightclubs.

The overlay district is an area where taverns and brewpubs cannot be established, and nightclubs and restaurant-nightclubs are allowed conditionally, once the ordinance is put into effect July 1.

The district includes all addresses on the 500 and 600 blocks of State Street, the 600 block of University Avenue and the 400 block of North Frances Street.

The boundaries described in the meeting near the 500 block of University Avenue were chosen due to the high number of problem phone calls in the area.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, suggested including both sides of the 400 block of West Gilman Street to the overlay district.

ALRC said the district is planned well, but now it will be important to focus on implementation. The committee referred the issue to its next meeting.

ALRC also approved temporary licenses for the May 24-25 Madison Marathon, August 30-31 Taste of Madison and November 9 Madison Marathon.

The committee approved Woof’s Pride Block Party’s temporary license. Representatives agreed to move their equipment and asked the DJs to limit noise after 10:00 p.m. in response to a noise complaint about last year’s bass noise.

ALRC also discussed Rachel Stevenson’s operator license application. Stevenson was found guilty of two separate incidents of Operating While Intoxicated in April and October of 2009 and bail jumping, which she did not mention in her application.

“Those actions don’t particularly reflect on my work ethic,” Stevenson said. “I personally think that I am responsible enough, and I do believe I deserve to hold my license.”

The committee approved Stevenson’s application. Verveer opposed and said Stevenson should have to reapply because of the mistake.

“I believe it was not an inadvertent mistake in terms of disclosure,” Verveer.

ALRC also extended the sunset date of the Downtown License Density Plan.