Ad Hoc Diversity Planning Committee releases UW-Madison Diversity Plan draft

The Ad Hoc Diversity Planning Committee released the first draft for the University of Wisconsin-Madison’s Diversity Plan Feb. 18, outlining recommendations to foster a greater diversity presence on campus.

The latest Diversity Plan installment was initiated in November 2012, as a means to continue efforts that originally spurred four years prior with Plan 2008. The previously outlined plan focused attention on increasing racial and ethnic diversity on campus.

The draft includes an updated definition of diversity, composed by the AHDPC, which encompasses commonly underrepresented groups of people. The definition includes, but does not limit, populations based on race, ethnicity, sex, gender, sexual orientation and socio-economic status.

The plan divides the recommendations for tackling diversity changes into two separate categories: the climate and culture of the campus and the surrounding area, and the accessibility community members will have to the finalized plan.

According to the draft, recommendations came largely from the “voices of UW-Madison and broader community.” In the past year, the university has held Diversity Forums and engagement sessions, where students, faculty and community members were able to voice insight on issues they believed should be addressed.

A key recommendation made by the Ad Hoc Committee in terms of accessibility is having the university focus efforts on establishing a more effective means of recruiting and retaining diverse faculty and students, specifically those who have been historically ignored.

AHDPC representatives emphasized the draft language is not something permanent, but rather is a “living document” that can be altered based on the changing needs of the community.

The AHDPC was formed in 1988 in a move to involve campus and community representatives in furthering the university’s efforts in establishing a diverse climate. The university issued Strategic Framework in guiding the diversity efforts, which focus on maintaining the virtues of the Wisconsin Idea that aims to incorporate all aspects of the state.

After undergoing review by the shared government factions, the AHDPC is set to hold additional listening sessions with the community before working on and releasing a second draft of the plan in spring 2014.