Wisconsin education leaders agree with Obama’s push for postsecondary degrees

The University of Wisconsin System released a statement Wednesday on behalf of Wisconsin higher education representatives, responding to President Barack Obama’s 2014 State of the Union address, specifically addressing the president’s plan to increase the prevalence of postsecondary degrees.

In the address, Obama said the presence of postsecondary degrees, or any college degree received after high school, is currently lacking across the country and that he hopes to increase the percentage of degrees received.

Wisconsin higher education representatives, made up of chancellors and presidents of the UW System, the Wisconsin Technical College System and the Wisconsin Association of Independent Colleges and Universities, expressed agreement with Obama for the needed increase, though conveyed concern about the proposed Postsecondary Institution Ratings System that would outline the intended shift.

The leaders focused on the fact that the PIRS could lead to many obstacles for students trying to reach higher education, including the possible reduction of financial aid.

“Ensuring that more Americans have access to the opportunities and benefits of higher education is important to all of us,” the leaders said in the statement.