UW System President-elect Raymond Cross looking to improve college affordability

As soon as University of Wisconsin System President-elect Raymond Cross begins his new role as president in mid-February, he said he plans to focus his attention on the residents of Wisconsin’s goals to determine what needs attention across the UW campuses.

Cross was appointed Jan. 9, after a unanimous vote by a six-member Board of Regents committee, according to Board of Regents President Michael Falbo. Cross will step down from his previous role as chancellor of University of Wisconsin Colleges and University of Wisconsin-Extension and take presidential office sometime in mid-February.

Cross said in a press conference following the announcement he will focus the beginning of his presidency on listening to the people of Wisconsin. He plans on holding listening sessions across the 26 UW campuses in order to understand the specific needs of each university.

“I will … be relying on fellow citizens and our UW students to help me lead,” Cross said in the conference. “That will be my focus: listening in order to lead.”

Associated Students of Madison Chair David Gardner said he is excited to work with Cross, highlighting his hope to collaborate on issues pertaining to college affordability.

“We’re so excited about the financial component [of Cross’ presidential plan],” Gardner said. “We’re absolutely pleased with his willingness to communicating with students.”

According to a statement Gardner released after the announcement, student debt is an issue of concern for over half of University of Wisconsin-Madison students. According to a recent report from UW-Madison’s Office of Financial Aid, the average amount of debt held by students is $26,000, and Gardner said one of ASM’s focuses will be lowering that number, hopefully with Cross’ help.

“One of the challenges that we’ll have, is to look at all the factors that contribute to [the cost of higher education] and do our very best to be responsible citizens and responsible leaders… and in that process find a way to keep tuition down,” Cross said.

Cross also expressed his goal to increase financial aid and will begin doing so by to concentrating his efforts on the state Capitol and working directly with Gov. Scott Walker.