Top three Grammy performances

Metallica and Lang Lang

In theory (and practice), classically trained musicians and metalheads go hand in hand. Both exemplify passions wrung through the straightened rigor of technique, and both (more often than not) go big. So it was fitting that this year classical pianist Lang Lang joined metal patriarch Metallica to perform a rendition of “One,” winner of the inaugural Grammy for Best Metal Performance back in 1990.

So what was the result of placing a classical pianist in the midst of these gruff metalheads? Passion, wrought through flawless technique. The performance was immaculate—from Kirk Hammett’s furious solo to Lang’s thunderous key playing and James Hetfield’s melodious growl. Everyone looked great, too—Hammett rocked a Transformer shirt in honor of Lou Reed. Not to mention, in the beginning, they lit a ring of fire around Lang as he ushered in Metallica. Now that’s metal.

Kendrick Lamar and Imagine Dragons

The logic underlying Grammy performances is sometimes baffling. Within reason, getting trendy acts to team up on stage and play medleys of their hit songs is fun and collaborative, but the result is usually hit or miss with plenty of emphasis on the miss side. One might have thought a team-up between Imagine Dragons and Kendrick Lamar would be a definite miss—yet it turned out to be a definite hit.

The basics of the collaboration’s success? Lamar killed it on stage between the verses he laid down from m.A.A.d city and the general intensity he brought to the proceedings. Lamar was on. And Imagine Dragons—loud, bombastic, replete with drums—were a surprisingly good foil to Lamar’s dominance.

Daft Punk and Stevie Wonder

Daft Punk may well have discovered the secret of time travel. And who would put it past those classy, classy French robots? That’s the default joke—that Daft Punk may well be automatons from the future—automatons who didn’t say a word in acceptance to any of the awards they took home during the night.

Yet, when they took the stage with Pharrell Williams, Nile Rodgers and the incomparable Stevie Wonder, they exuded as much heart and soul as their cohorts. Yes, you may have heard “Get Lucky” a million times in the past six months or so, but the Grammys’ “Get Lucky” electrified an already lively song and made it into something vibrant and exciting. Tonight, tomorrow, we’re all up to celebrate Daft Punk.