Tiny Houses project receives support and opposition from neighborhood leaders

The Tiny Houses project, which provides small structures for Madison’s homeless, is receiving both strong support from community members and harsh criticism from the Madison Police Department.

Occupy Madison members are currently in the process of purchasing property on East Johnson Street to allow the “tiny houses” a permanent location. Allen Barkoff, an Occupy Madison supporter, explained Tiny Houses advocates are pushing for a permanent location because the structures currently have to be moved every 48 hours if placed on the street.

Barkoff said the project was proposed to Madison community members and found many members in favor of housing the homeless in the structures.

“Only a couple of people expressed some concerns so we’re hoping to allay their concerns,” Barkoff said.

The Madison Police Department, however, openly expressed opposition to the new project. North District Captain Jay Lengfeld expressed his concerns associated with the Tiny Houses project in a Jan. 15 neighborhood meeting.

“We don’t think it is a good location to be close to East High School, Emerson School, Demetral Park where we already have problems with drugs, alcohol and disturbances,” Lengfeld said.

Barkoff said he was surprised by MPD’s reaction to the project and said he feels there has been a lack of communication.

However, Barkoff said he remains hopeful and said the long-term goals of the project will bring forth a larger area to hold more houses and allow space for a vegetable garden to better benefit the city’s homeless population.