Roarin' Rapids Water Coaster

Other News: Natatorium opens new Roarin’ Rapids water slide

The University of Wisconsin-Madison Natatorium, campus’ wettest, wildest, most action-packed water park, held the grand-opening of its most exhilarating water slide yet, the “Roarin’ Rapids Water Coaster,” Monday morning.

Braving subzero temperatures, thrill-seeking students, faculty and members of the Madison community lined up out the door in nothing but their swimsuits for a chance to enjoy the white-knuckle rafting experience the new ride has to offer.

With the addition of “Roarin’ Rapids,” the Nat now boasts 28 backwoods-themed water rides. The new water coaster is located in the “Mighty Mississip’” section of the park, standing between “Moonshiners’ Lazy River” and “Bumper Canoes.”

Those brave enough to ride Roarin’ Rapids zip along a quarter mile track on an inflatable raft, jostled all the while by rapids modeled after those found in the treacherous Colorado River, until they reach the ride’s climax: a spine-tingling 15-foot plunge down a waterfall drop off.

UW-Madison Director of Aquatics and Safety Betty Gresham says the new ride will finally put the Nat on top of the Wisconsin Water Park market.

“The University has had those Noah’s Ark sons of bitches in its sights for years now,” Gresham told giggly, dripping wet Cardinal reporters, dressed only in their Cardinal-issued speedos. “[University Chancellor Rebecca Blank] gave me one mission when I got this job. She said, ‘Nail their asses to the wall, Betty. UW-Madison facilities are themed amusement parks first, institutions of higher learning second.’ Well, Black Anaconda, meet Roarin’ Rapids.”

Concerns have been raised about Roarin’ Rapids safety. The cost of the wooden ride was 10 percent of the UW-Madison Division of Recreational Sports annual budget, or $1,000. However, Gresham confirmed there have only been two fatalities associated with Roarin’ Rapids so far, making it the safest ride in the park.