Gov. Scott Walker announces state of emergency in response to propane shortage

Gov. Scott Walker declared a state of emergency in response to severe winter weather and a “dangerously low” propane supply in an executive order Saturday.

The supply shortage has caused delivery delays and reduced the amount of propane being delivered to Wisconsin and all Midwestern states, according to a release. Approximately 250,000 Wisconsin residents use propane to heat their homes or businesses.

Several factors contributed to the shortage, according to the the release. Unusually cold temperatures made propane transportation more difficult, a major pipeline supplying propane to the Midwest temporarily closed for maintenance and grain farmers needed more propane to dry crops due to a wet fall.

“The health and safety of our citizens is our number one priority, and this declaration gives us the necessary resources to protect the residents of Wisconsin,” Walker said in the release. “Since last fall, we have taken action to help alleviate the impact the propane shortage is having on our state.”

According to the release, Walker’s administration has combated the shortage by allowing propane transportation drivers to log more than the federally allowed 70 hours per week and to carry more propane per trip.

Walker will speak after meeting with propane stakeholders Monday.