News_StuCoMulhern

Sustainability Chair Will Mulhern said he is not worried about the future of the Green Fund, despite concerns raised by Student Council representatives at the semester’s first ASM meeting Wednesday.

First Student Council meeting focuses on Green Fund bylaws

The University of Wisconsin-Madison Associated Students of Madison met for the first committee meeting of the spring semester Wednesday with discussion and concern of the Green Fund bylaws.

Sustainability Committee Chair Will Mulhern presented the bylaws and standing rules for the Green Fund Advising Board, which would be created alongside the establishment of the Green Fund next year.

The Green Fund was introduced by Mulhern in the beginning of the school year as a medium for registered student groups to conduct environmental projects on campus, focusing on six different areas of campus sustainability. The advisory board for the fund would be a way to ensure order to the fund, and to properly distribute money allotted for the projects.

ASM Graduate Student Rep. Jamie Wheeler raised concern for the presented bylaws, saying she felt there were aspects that did not follow the precedent set by ASM.

One such aspect Wheeler mentioned was the language of the bylaws that said the GFAB can overturn a decision made by Student Council to deny a group funds, a feature she said could serve as a conflict in representing the entirety of the student body fairly.

“As of now, no other group that provides money to students can overrule Student Council with three-quarters of a vote,” Wheeler said. “The people on the board [who are] evaluating the grants… don’t represent all students, but technically Student Council should.”

Mulhern said he is willing to establish an open communication with representatives who had confusion or concern about the bylaws, and said he is not worried about the future of the Green Fund.

“I would love to hear from them, one on one, so that I could hear all their concerns,” Mulhern said. “I think I can amend everything they had an issue with.”

Council members also unanimously appointed freshman Andre Hunter as the new ASM secretary, replacing now Recruitment and Retention Chair Carissa Szlosek.

Hunter acknowledged that he is new to ASM, but said he feels it will not hinder his ability to serve in the position.

“I may not have a whole lot of experience, but … I’m not going to come here if I didn’t believe that I was right for the job,” Hunter said. “I want to be a leader here.”

ASM Vice Chair Mia Akers also presented updates with the Diversity Plan, saying discussions have taken place concerning campus climate among different student groups on campus.

The first draft of the plan should be released Feb. 18, Rep. Justin Bloesch said.