Assembly leader and chair oppose exporting natural gas

The Department of Energy approved five new terminals for the export of liquid natural gas and is considering up to 30 additional terminals, according to letters sent to U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin, D-Wis.

Liquefied natural gas is principally used for transporting natural gas to market, where it is “regasified” and distributed as pipeline natural gas, according to the Office of Fossil Energy’s website.

“One of several [U.S. energy] supply options involves increasing imports of liquefied natural gas to ensure that American consumers have adequate supplies of natural gas for the future,” according to the website.

State Assembly Minority Leader Peter Barca, D-Kenosha, urged former White House Chief of Staff John Podesta and Baldwin Thursday in a series of letters to oppose any future gas terminal approvals until the DOE has conducted a full analysis of the economic effects of current export levels.

“Approving further export terminals without full analysis of the current effects could impact job creation, drive up the costs of manufacturing and increase consumer costs,” Barca wrote.

State Assembly Democratic Caucus Chair Andy Jorgensen, D-Milton, also addressed Podest and Baldwin with his concerns.

Jorgensen wrote additional exporting “may trigger additional price hikes and, in turn, pose real challenges for American manufacturers and consumers. At this point in our country’s economic recovery, it’s critical we do all we can to support business growth -- and the generation of new job opportunities -- as well as the financial stability of our constituents.”