SAC

Student leaders seek to return the Student Activity Center to its intended purpose as a home for registered student organizations, such as the Associated Students of Madison.

ASM looks ahead at upcoming semester

The University of Wisconsin-Madison Associated Students of Madison is looking to start the semester off strong, according to ASM Press Office Chair Grace Bolt, with plans to facilitate the first ever open house at the Student Activity Center.

By holding an open house, ASM hopes to rebrand what Bolt calls a common misconception of what purpose the SAC serves.

“Right now, it’s really seen as a study space and that’s not what the building is intended for,” Bolt said. “It’s intended for a space for students to come together and collaborate, especially student organizations.”

Instead of students viewing the SAC as an alternative to going to the library, the hope is after seeing what facilities the SAC has to offer, they will understand its intended purpose as a host for registered student organizations.

Currently, there are office spaces that, instead of being used as offices, are being used for storage. Bolt emphasized the importance of using these spaces for their intended purpose.

Also on ASM’s agenda is the upcoming Diversity Day, which takes place in February.

“[The event] is partially to raise awareness for diversity on campus in general and also for the upcoming diversity plan that will be issued in the spring,” Bolt said.

The event will be catered to students, something that has not necessarily been the focus in the past. Bolt said the idea is to “celebrate” diversity and to look for ways students can be involved in improving the campus environment.