UW-Madison to offer Flex Option course

University of Wisconsin-Madison will soon offer programs consistent with the format of UW Flexible Option, UW-Extension Chancellor Ray Cross said Friday.

UW Flexible Option is a competency-based program striving to make obtaining degrees and certificates through the UW System more accessible for adults, part-time and other nontraditional students who may be trying to balance families, work and other responsibilities. Instead of spending a set amount of time in the classroom, UW Flexible Option students earn their credentials by completing tests, projects and papers using prior knowledge.

UW-Madison is in the developmental phases of an Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse Counseling certificate, though a commencement date for the program has not been announced, according to a UW System statement.

The program’s main goal will be to assist professionals in the field of human services who want to become certified AODA counselors, a position expected to give rise to 29,000 new jobs through 2016, according to the release.

The AODA certificate will not offer any credits and will be managed by the university’s Division of Continuing Studies in conjunction with the School of Social Work.

Interim Provost and Vice Chancellor at UW-Extension Aaron Brower said the addition of new participating universities is evidence of the program’s success.

“We’re looking forward to working with our new partners as we broaden our ability to meet the needs of Wisconsin and the nation,” Brower said in the release.

UW-Parkside, UW-Stevens Point and UW-Stout have also committed to developing and implementing UW Flexible Option courses.