12062013marijuana

Synthetic marijuana becoming a major concern for Madison City Police

Madison police are growing concerned with the recent increase in arrests made near the upper end of State Street for the use of synthetic marijuana, known as “Spice.”

The officers’ concerns stem from the dangerous side effects the drug induces. University of Wisconsin-Madison Police Detective Carol Kashishian described the potential effects of the drug in a news conference last summer, citing seizures, convulsions and psychological problems as symptoms.

“What we’re seeing happening is, people are having heart palpitations, strong hallucinations and basically amnesia where they’re not sure what’s happening to them,” Kashishian said.

Madison Police Department Lt. Brian Ackeret described tactics manufacturers use to disguise the illegal substance, including placing the marijuana on the market discretely by wrapping it in falsely professional packaging and advertising it as incense. Some labels on the wrappers include statements claiming the product is “DEA certified” and “not to be ingested.” Ackeret also said consumers are unaware of the illegality as a result of the clever packaging.

“We want to educate the public on the product itself and the fact that it is illegal to possess and consume,” said Ackeret. “We want parents and potential users to know that it is illegal despite what it says on the packaging.”

Madison police detectives are currently investigating the Dane County area to track suppliers and manufacturers as a part of the nationwide project called “Operation Log Jam” to rid the streets of the dangerous drug.

“These products are illegal, we will be doing compliance checks, we will seize them and you may face prosecution,” Ackeret said.