Christmas comes without love from diva Leona Lewis

Oh good, another pop star Christmas album. Because that’s what the charts need—another singer good enough to make radio play but not good enough to keep pumping out the hits, instead singing the same 10 songs as every other depleted artist out there.

But hey! At least Leona Lewis’ new album, Christmas, With Love, has more than your typical Christmas release—even if relief is only found in the last two songs. My first thought upon looking at the track list was, “Why is she singing Ave Maria?” Is it a Christmas song? Not really. But until hearing this track, I didn’t have an ounce of respect for Lewis. And now, I kind of do. Her voice sounds absolutely amazing. She should stick to this style—it far outshines “Mr. Right” and that “Bleeding Love” song that’s impossible to escape. I’m so glad they didn’t overlook her ability and chose to release this song—even if it isn’t necessarily commercially marketable.

That being said, why can’t she keep singing like this? Aside from “Silent Night,” the rest of this album is the kind of stuff that makes you ignore the radio from Thanksgiving through New Year’s. It’s the soundtrack to a Black Friday nightmare. And a woman who has a god-given talent shouldn’t be wasting it on mindless crap people push their shopping carts along to. Come on, Leona. Do you, girl.