Chancellor Rebecca Blank needs to be more engaged in diversity planning

The Daily Cardinal Editorial Board believes that University of Wisconsin-Madison Chancellor Rebecca Blank should be more active in supporting diversity efforts on campus.Throughout the chancellor search process in Spring 2013, Blank was not outspoken about UW-Madison’s diversity. From her very first visits to campus, Blank did not champion improving diversity and campus climate as a priority. She instead focused many of her talks on expanding funding sources and connecting with students and faculty.

Going into her tenure, this Editorial Board realizes addressing diversity on campus was not one of her main priorities. However, we would like to see Blank be more engaged in the Ad Hoc Diversity Planning Committee’s planning process.While the planning committee and those ad hoc groups affiliated with the Ad Hoc Diversity Planning Committee will be doing the bulk of the planning regarding the Diversity Plan, we would like to see Blank boldly supporting these groups.

As chancellor of the university, Blank is the university’s top authority, and she should be the figurehead for pushing for diversity programs and changing diversity on campus.For example, Chancellor Robert J. Birgeneau of the University of California, Berkeley wrote a signed letter endorsing the university’s Strategic Plan for Equity, Inclusion and Diversity. The vice chancellor signed off on UC, Berkeley’s plan as well.

UW-Madison’s Diversity Plan 2008 did not contain endorsement from the chancellor at the time. This Editorial Board would like to see Chancellor Rebecca Blank not only the new diversity plan in writing but also in the planning process.

In addition to Blank’s support of changing campus climate, we would like to see Dean of Students Lori Berquam engage in promoting diversity even more than what she already does within the Division of Student Life. Associated Students of Madison leaders should also be much more active in supporting the diversity planning process. The shared governing bodies should assist and give guidance to the Ad Hoc Diversity Planning Committee on what will likely be approved.

Public opinion is a powerful tool. The Daily Cardinal Editorial Board believes that if high-profile university and student leaders speak out in support of changing diversity on campus and actively engage in changing the campus climate, UW-Madison’s diversity will improve.

How do you feel about Rebecca Blank’s work on campus diversity? Do you agree with The Daily Cardinal Editorial Board? Please send all feedback to opinion@dailycardinal.com.