Board of Regents says 'farewell' to UW System President Reilly

The University Of Wisconsin System Board of Regents acknowledged its appreciation for retiring System President Kevin Reilly Friday.

Reilly, who has served as president for the UW System since 2004, is stepping down from his position in January.

According to Board of Regents Chair Michael Falbo, Reilly hired more than 31 chancellors and worked with over 64 members of the Board of Regents throughout the course of his leadership.

“Goodbyes are always very difficult, so we need to focus on how lucky we have been to have known someone like Kevin,” Falbo said. “I think I speak for regents and chancellors of past and present when I say that Kevin has done a terrific job leading this institution.”

Many regents spoke to the accomplishments of Reilly and expressed their gratitude for his service. Previous Board of Regent President David Walsh was among many who highlighted the ongoing integrity of Reilly.

“This is a great institution, and we are losing an even greater leader,” Walsh said.

Reilly said he has valued his time as president and hopes to see further advancements in the system’s future.

“I think the people in Wisconsin, over many generations, have built a really great university system,” Reilly said. “I just feel very privileged to have played a role for nine years in helping to advance the university and the quality of life for all.”

Falbo addressed the upcoming process of finding a replacement for Reilly, saying the search will begin as soon as this weekend.

If all goes according to plan, Falbo said a recommendation for the new president will be presented to the Board Jan. 10.

Representatives of the UW System Flexible Option Degree Program also presented an update on progress to the Board.

The newly conceived Flex Option will provide a means for adult students to receive nontraditional college credit.

Reilly noted that it has been “a remarkable 18 months” for the program, referring to the significant amount of development that has been achieved.

Chancellor of UW Colleges and UW-Extension Ray Cross said he sees this program as being the first of many steps to a new system of education.

“In 20 years, I envision the UW educational system of higher education being the dominant leader around the world, serving millions of students through tools … we don’t even [yet] imagine,” Cross said.