Associated Students of Madison elects new committee chairs

A member of the University of Wisconsin-Madison Associated Students of Madison was elected as chair of a new recruitment and outreach committee in a tight election Wednesday.

Sophomore Carissa Szlosek, who currently serves as the secretary for ASM, narrowly beat out Adrian Holtzman for Retention and Recruitment Chair in a 10-9 vote. The vote was conducted three times, as the election continued to result in a tie.

The position of Retention and Recruitment Chair was created and approved by ASM members earlier in the semester in a move to replace the currently vacated Chief of Staff position. The job of the chair will be to work with UW-Madison’s recruitment fairs in the fall and spring, as well as to assist with outreach on campus.

Szlosek’s skills were endorsed by fellow council members, including Representative Maria Giannopoulos, who said that Szlosek has proved to be a hard worker as both secretary and a member of Nominations Board.

Giannopoulos also noted Szlosek’s work with the Campus Safety Campaign, saying that “sometimes she is the only one working on it.”

Szlosek said in a statement before the election that if elected, she would step down from her current secretary role.

Junior Hannah Kinsella also was elected to fill the University Affairs Chair position and Sophomore Genevieve Carter was chosen for the Nominations Board Chair.

Committee members also approved a bylaw alteration outlining that StudentPrint will no longer receive funding from the ASM internal budget.

According to its website, StudentPrint is a print shop on campus that provides low priced printing and copying to students.

As it currently states in ASM bylaws, the StudentPrint budget comes from the internal budget.

The alteration of the ASM bylaws changed the requirements previously outlined of StudentPrint in terms of its budget, giving it the freedom to generate its own budget independently of ASM.

ASM Chair David Gardner says that moving forward, StudentPrint will present their future budgets to ASM as a formality.

“They [will] present their budget to us as a courtesy prior to Feb. 28, but they’re not required to have authorization, which makes sense because now they are a business and they generate their own revenue,” Gardner said.