The record routine: The sk8r girl needs to grow up

When Avril Lavigne opens her self-titled new album, she proclaims “We’re still Rock ’n’ Roll.” While this might be a great way to start off an album, weaving her familiar pop hooks and rough guitar sounds into an all around rock album, this proclamation falls flat.

The now Mrs. Chad Kroeger (of Nickleback fame) just released her fifth studio album, but Lavigne hasn’t evolved from her previous pop-punk recordings.

Lavigne’s major chart hits, “Sk8r Boi,” “Girlfriend” and “What the Hell,” all followed the same formula: campy, light lyrics with pop-punk instrumentation. She found a niche, which is to make pop music that is catchy and fun, yet still dripping with teenage angst.

With this self-titled release, Lavigne seems to show off every bit of her teenage angst ridden “rock” talent, with the smooth ballad “Let Me Go,” featuring her husband Kroeger. Also on the album is the creepily sexual track “Bad Girl,” a dark and mysterious industrial piece featuring the always-entertaining Marilyn Manson.

Limited lyricism and repetitive instrumentation bogs down this 13-track release. “Hello Kitty” is a mess of Japanese cultural references and horribly written hooks. “Hello Heartache” finds Lavigne comparing herself and an ex lover to champagne and Jameson, and is further hurt by awkward vocals and a droning, never-ending drum beat.

While I may not be an Avril superfan, despite the fact I sometimes jump around my room singing along to “Sk8r Boi,” Lavigne knows how to perform her act, a nearly 30-year-old angst-ridden singer who is trying to evolve. “Falling Fast” is a softer take on falling in love, and shows some decent growth, along with the lullaby-like “Hush Hush.”

Fingers crossed that Lavigne’s next release will be of some substance, but for now, she is sticking to her tried and true formula.

Rating: C