Nic Kerdiles

Sophomore forward Nic Kerdiles has points in 16 straight games after his goal and assist in Boston.

Men's Hockey: Badgers are ready after Boston debacle

After uncharacteristically weak defensive play in which they allowed 16 goals in two games, the Badgers men’s hockey team (2-2-0 overall) looks to get back on track with its success as undefeated Lake Superior State (4-0-0) comes to the Kohl Center for a weekend matchup.

Two weeks ago, the Badgers road trip to the East Coast proved to be unfriendly as they lost 9-2 and 7-3 to Boston College and Boston University. After returning the team had a bye week, giving them the chance to regroup and refocus.

“I like the way we went back to work last week,” head coach Mike Eaves said. “We accomplished a lot of things that we as a coaching staff set out to do and we felt that we went back to basics. We worked hard and smart, so we feel it was a good week.”

Sophomore forward Nic Kerdiles, who tallied a goal and an assist in Boston to give him points in 16 consecutive games dating back to last season, said the key to limiting the Lakers’ scoring opportunity starts right in front of their own net.

“I think just starting from the back end, playing defensively and playing strong in our zone is the number one thing,” Kerdiles said. “Coach likes to build teams from the back to the front, so that’s what we’ve got to focus on.”

And even though Kerdiles was featured on NHL.com, the national spotlight hasn’t resulted in any additional pressure, at least not in his mind.

“I just take it as a compliment,” Kerdiles said in regards to the feature. “It’s nice seeing your name on NHL.com and having people write nice things about you. Obviously it’s an honor, but it’s something I’ve got to look past, and build off it.”

Not discouraged after the team’s less than ideal performance in Beantown, senior forward Mark Zengerle said the task ahead remains getting back to work and focusing on Lake Superior State.

“There’s a lot of hockey to be played, and you know, that’s why there’s more than 10 games in a season because things like [Boston] do happen,” Zengerle said. “So now it’s just come back, put your hard hat on and go to work. There are other weekends ahead here.”

He also said getting the jump on Lake Superior State will be essential for the Badgers, something that should work given their time off from games.

“We’ve got to come out hard right away, I mean they’re 4-0,” Zengerle said. “It’ll be important for us to come out right away and use our energy we’ve had saved up for the past few weeks on them.”

Puck-drop against Lake Superior State gets underway Friday night at 7 p.m. Both games will also be televised on Wisconsin Channel.