Cut Copy pastes genres together

Cut Copy’s latest release, Free Your Mind, encourages you to do just that. A heady journey through funky electronic pseudo-psychedlia, the album nods to ’90s dance club grooves, yet remains relevant with soaring choruses and sailing vocals.

This album is so much fun. It’s feel good music from its first note to its last. The best part about it is the fact that Cut Copy has managed to create another album of “party” songs that don’t sacrifice depth for context. Free Your Mind is definitely in the same league as Cut Copy’s sophomore album, In Ghost Colours, often noted as their best work.

The production of this album is flawless. Its funk and psychedelic elements add a layer of refinement that bands such as LCD Soundsystem often excluded. And because of this, they have managed to create an album that unapologetically crosses genres. Each layer of sound comes from a different place. The basslines are straight out of a ’90s warehouse party; the bright, sparkly-sounding synths are a modern trick often implemented by artists such as Pretty Lights; and the vocals are a throwback to ’70s disco. All of this is expertly combined, creating an album that truly has something for everybody.

Free Your Mind is the kind of album you can play in a club, in your apartment or in your car. Regardless of where it’s heard, the album is going to demand you nod your head along to the beat, and you are going to accept this demand.

Rating: A-