City design committee reviews multiple downtown housing proposals

Madison’s Urban Design Commission met Wednesday to offer feedback on several downtown housing projects.

Sophia Residence Development staff said the proposed five-story housing project would make the area a “building block” of the surrounding neighborhood and would be “aimed at the student market.”

Though the design includes exterior features that coordinate with the neighborhood, a representative from the Department of Planning said the department “can’t support this project unless it’s something really good” because it would eradicate three older buildings and “it doesn’t reflect the vision of residents of Madison.”

However, commission members argued that “it fits into the human scale of the area” and replicates several historical elements. The commission unanimously approved the project with minor stylistic adjustments.

Also at the meeting, architects designing the Washington Plaza apartment complex, located at 425 W. Washington Ave. presented their design changes in response to feedback given at previous meetings.

“The problem with the Plaza was … it just didn’t work well,” admitted one architect. The revised plan creates more of a “sense of entrance” and is meant to look and feel “like a plant with its root system coming out.”

The architectural adjustments were meant to “engage” the building with its surroundings, and create a “bit of a backyard” with more inviting landscaping, including planters that double as seating. The commission responded positively to these changes and unanimously approved them.

The residential and commercial development for the 800 block of East Washington Avenue, the commission’s largest current undertaking, also received feedback on its commercial components.

The architects explained that they are “still working toward … an elegant, simple solution,” but are nearing completion.

Commission members expressed concerns about the building’s 13 stories, which violate the Capitol height ordinance but discussed making an exception.

Representatives for the project also explained that although Metcalfe’s backed out of placing a store within the development, several other grocery chains have expressed interest in the venue and the deal would be closed soon.

Although Madison residents at the meeting complained about the amount of restructuring in these developments, the commission was excited about what these projects will contribute to their respective communities and the downtown area.