Common Council_11.4.13

Alders propose amendments to city's 2014 operating, capital budgets

Common Council will address amendments to the capital and operating budgets Nov. 5, which include construction of the Judge Doyle Square Garage, Madison Police Department’s overtime budget, services for the homeless community and a downtown public restroom.

Items in the capital budget will be one-time expenses, such as Judge Doyle Square Garage construction. The operating budget will contain recurring expenses, such as MPD overtime pay.

Ald. David Ahrens, District 15, sponsored an amendment to cut funding for the Judge Doyle Square Garage from $7 million to $1.5 million. Ahrens said the $1.5 million could used to assess and make plans for future reconstruction of the garage instead of demolishing the current structure.

According to Ahrens, a 2012 assessment found the garage still has “10 good years in it.”

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said he opposes the amendment because the parking ramp is the oldest city ramp service. “We’ve been told for years that it needs to be replaced,” Verveer said.

“The amendment goes after the parking garage instead of, I think, the heart of what Alder Ahrens is against, which is subsidizing a new hotel, as part of this Judge Doyle Square Project,” Verveer said.

Common Council will also address how to fund the Downtown Safety Initiative.

Ald. Scott Resnick, District 8, said the amendment will clarify how overtime funding would be used, particularly as it is related to downtown policing.

“The effect of the amendment is to give the police permission to overspend on the $65,000 that is allotted for DSI if they believe it is necessary for public safety downtown,” Verveer said.

Mayor Paul Soglin initially proposed $65,000 to fund the DSI, although the MPD says it will need $150,000.

Alders have proposed three amendments to the Community Development Block Grant, which would fund laundry services, transportation to and from shower facilities and access to porta potties and lockers for the homeless community. Verveer is one of the alders supporting the amendments.

The Council will also consider funding the construction of a permanent, full-time and publicly accessible restroom downtown.

Verveer said the Council will have to prioritize the amendment because, according to the budget, the total of the proposed amendments exceeds the state levy limit by $22,388.