Your step by step guide to success on all things Instagram

“Best Freakfest ever with my best girls #halloweeekend.” The world of Instagram is generating much more than ever imagined. Photos explaining what you did the night before, or photos of the best meal you’ve ever had. At the end of the day, it does not really matter what you throw down on that social network, it just matters how many likes you get. Yes, I said it, people Instagram to see how popular they can be. It is a way to measure ones own popularity. Do not get me wrong, I am one of those many girls who Instagram all the time.

Instagram is more than just the typical fad, it has created a revolution, generating new terms and creating an entirely new lifestyle. To Instagram a picture is not such a simple task, it requires technique and multiple decisions before you can post it to the world in order to make sure it is Instagram-worthy. The Instagram world has created a new way to be able to see people through photographs, and moreover, it has allowed people to express themselves creatively through their photographs. Here are some helpful tips and definitions of how the Instagram world runs, and how you can run the Instagram world.

The Hashtag

If you do not know what this is, then you should probably start taking notes because you have a lot to catch up on. The hashtag (#) is a way to generate new followers and of course, get the likes. By hashtaging, your photo can then be found whenever someone puts in that same hash-tag name in the search button. If you #blonde, #fun, #Wisconsin, anyone in the world can then find your picture, potentially getting you some new followers. For some people, the hashtag is an essential aspect to their “insta.” It can either create new followers, or even give your photo an additional funny caption, of course to get the likes. Some people could say, #nosoupforyou, #weoutheretrynafunction, or even #thisismybestfriendnotyours. All these clever hashtags might not solely be easily searchable in the trending topics area of the search bar, but for your current followers they are funny, enjoyable, and will definitely generate hype on the picture.

#tbt

Baby pictures, photos from the good old days back in high school, or anything of the past. The #tbt is your very own “throwback Thursday.” Come Thursday morning, when you wake up from bed, your instagram feed will be going nuts with #tbt. It is the best way to show off some cute pictures of you when you were a baby, or even show some adorable pictures of you from those middle school days. And hey, if you are really trying to step out of the box, throw in some #tbt from just the year before to show how much you miss that beautiful year before. The #tbt could be one of the best-liked and worst liked days on Instagram. If you are an adamant supporter of the #tbt then this day is fun and exciting, however if you openly just do not care about people’s pasts then I would definitely avoid your cell phones on Thursday.

Effects

I do not care how cute your picture might be normally, if you do not put the right effect on your picture, you might have screwed yourself over. Effects are key in generating likes. If you are feeling Lo-Fi, Willow, Amaro or my ultimate favorite Brannan, pick wisely because this will make or break the photo. Some helpful tips are to give the photo some shadow or perhaps a sharper color. Instantly these always seems to make the photo look better. Change up your Instagram feed by throwing a black and white in there every so often. And of course, do not forget sometimes adding a little blur to the photo adds an extra kick!

This guide will undoubtedly increase your ability to Instagram. Don’t forget that the most simple fixes can make all the difference. For as long as Instagram is around, I can guarantee my guide will hold the true keys to Instagram success. Remember to keep up with the hashtags and do not forget your #tbt this week! The likes will come over time, so keep up the good work and I know you can do this! Good luck to all my instagrammers out there, may the odds be ever in your favor.