The Record Routine: Fall Out Boy’s new release actually a solid attempt to save rock ’n’ roll

Fall Out Boy has been in the media quite often within the past year after a four-year hiatus and surprise return with Save Rock and Roll. Their fans expressed mixed feelings about the comeback album; some people regarded it as not being punk enough and others loved the change in pace. Their newest EP Pax-Am Days is almost the complete opposite of the epic, star-studded Save Rock and Roll. It was produced by Ryan Adams at PAX-AM Studios within a two-day span, and Adams’ minimalistic editing makes for an excellent, rugged punk sound. The guitars are heavily distorted, the drumming is fast and aggressive and Patrick Stump’s lead vocals stand out among the insane instrumentals.

The band members claim the album is a sort of ode to their hardcore punk influences like The Clash, Sex Pistols and Dead Kennedys. The album is best described as fast, rough and intense and the songs flow perfectly together in an angry whirlwind. Though not many of the tracks stand out as a single or classic, the album as a whole is a fun and unique listening experience. The punk anthem “Love, Sex, Death” has been floating around the Internet for the past few weeks since Fall Out Boy released a colorful, rock ’n’ roll-heavy music video for the track.

The eight-track record clocks in at a whopping 13 minutes, 19 seconds but makes a bold statement about their refusal to conform to any specific label and their ability to return to their roots whenever they feel like it. Even if you’re not a Fall Out Boy fan, even if you made fun of Fall Out Boy fans in seventh grade, give Pax-Am Days a shot on your walk to class this week. If you respect punk rock and need to get pumped up for an exam or want to feel like an angsty high schooler again, you will most definitely be pleasantly surprised with the outcome of Fall Out Boys’ odd new project.

Rating: B+