State senator moves to take collective bargaining rights from Milwaukee police officers, firefighters

State Sen. Tim Carpenter, D-Milwaukee, introduced a bill Tuesday that would revoke collective bargaining rights for Milwaukee’s police and firefighter unions.

Act 10 eliminated collective bargaining rights and benefits for most unionized public employees in Wisconsin and created public unrest in 2011 that prompted a recall election in 2012.

Milwaukee’s police and fire departments currently maintain their bargaining rights, but Carpenter said in a statement cutting their rights would decrease the city’s spending. Police and fire department expenses account for 59 percent of Milwaukee’s budget, according to the statement.

Carpenter said 70 percent of his district thinks public safety unions should be treated the same as other public employees and have their collective bargaining rights removed.

“Until all collective bargaining rights are restored, giving specific unions superior status under the law violates a sense of fair play and equality under state law,” Carpenter said in the statement.

Carpenter did not return a request for comment by the time of publishing.