'State of the Downtown' report shows increase in theft, downtown employees

Downtown Madison has seen a 22 percent increase in thefts from buildings in the last two years, according to an annual State of the Downtown report released Monday.

Downtown Madison, Inc., an organization that represents the interests of Madison businesses, residents, employees and visitors, publishes the report, which is in its third year.

The report noted statistics about crime, housing, employment and environmental initiatives in downtown Madison.

In addition to increased thefts from buildings, drugs and narcotics violations downtown have increased 6.9 percent between 2010 and 2012, according to the report.

The report said the number of battery incidents decreased by 22 percent during the same time period.

Downtown development has increased, with an estimated 1,700 new residential units scheduled to be completed in the next two years, according to the report. The Capitol East District, which is adjacent to the downtown, is estimated to have 500 new units in the same time frame.

The number of downtown workers increased 7.3 percent, according to the report, with jobs in planning and administration accounting for the most workers.

The organization also evaluated the state of Lakes Mendota and Monona. According to the report, the median total phosphorus in Lake Mendota decreased 47 percent in the last two years. But both lakes failed to meet a 6.6 foot water clarity level benchmark.