State Democrats unveil alternative requirements for controversial Sporting Heritage Grant

State Senate and Assembly Democrats put forth alternative eligibility requirements for securing the Sporting Heritage Grant Wednesday in the wake of an ongoing and increasingly concerning process that led to the United Sportsmen of Wisconsin receiving a $500,000 grant, according to the Democrats.

State Rep. Nick Milroy, D-South Range, along with other Democratic members on the Natural Resources Committee, revealed new legislation that preserves the Sporting Heritage Grant, but amends the nomination process.

The bill highlights three stipulations that must be met in order for an organization to be eligible. An organization must “educate and train,” “conduct programs to recruit” and “conduct programs to encourage” persons engaged in hunting, fishing and trapping.

State Assembly Democrats expressed commitment to the bill’s goal of properly presenting the grant.

“As a lifelong fisherman, I am deeply invested in ensuring that Wisconsin’s next generation is provided the opportunity to learn about and love our great outdoors,” state Sen. Robert Wirch, D-Somers said.

State Sen. Neal Kedzie, R-Elkhorn, who chairs the Senate Natural Resources Committee, released a statement calling for “careful consideration” regarding resource availability and the necessity of the grant.

The bill had previously been awarded to United Sportsmen after concerted lobbying efforts by Republican legislators. 18 Republican legislators sent a letter to the Wisconsin Sporting Heritage Program Grant Application Committee promoting United Sportsman as an organization meeting and exceeding the grant’s eligibility requirements.

The bill will be circulated for co-sponsorship in the state Legislature.