State Assembly approves controversial American Indian mascot bill

The state Assembly passed controversial legislation Tuesday that would make filing complaints of racism against school mascots more difficult.

Under current legislation, school district residents can raise a complaint with the state superintendent about a school’s race-based mascot, nickname, logo or team if they believe it promotes discrimination, pupil harassment or stereotyping. If the superintendent finds the complaint is valid, the school must change its mascot within 12 months of the decision. If the school does not comply with the decision the school can be fined up to $1,000 a day.

The new bill, which has the greatest effect on American Indian mascots, proposes that in order to file a complaint, residents must first collect 10 percent of the adult population’s signatures. The legislation takes enforcement power from the state superintendent and gives it to the Department of Administration.

Republican legislators said the bill would “strike a reasonable compromise” between both the accusers and accused. State Rep. Steve Nass, R-Whitewater, who authored the bill, said it puts “the burden of proof on people who file complaints.”

Democratic legislators condemned the bill, saying it would institutionalize racism and teach children to adopt stereotypes.

State Rep. Katrina Shankland, D-Stevens Point, drew comparisons to the national stage where the decision to change the Washington Redskins name is gaining popularity. Shankland said the nation is moving forward while this bill leaves Wisconsin behind.

The bill would “reduce a group of people to less than human,” said Rep. Chris Danou, D-Trempealeau.

The bill will now move to the state Senate where legislators are discussing their own bill on the subject.