SSFC_F.H.King

Student Services Finance Committee Chair David Vines said SSFC will hear the MultiCultural Student Coalition’s appeals Monday.

SSFC approves F.H. King budget, sets date for MCSC appeals hearing

The Student Services Finance Committee approved the 2014-’15 budget for the sustainable agriculture organization F.H. King in a near unanimous decision Thursday.

The F.H. King organization provides experience with small-scale sustainable agricultural projects such as a student-run farm and bike compost pickup program.

F.H. King’s $71,827.68 budget was roughly $500 more than the group requested, because SSFC accommodated for structural changes. SSFC approved the budget with a vote of 10-1.

SSFC Chair David Vines also told representatives they would hear an internal appeal from the MultiCultural Student Coalition Monday, which recently appealed SSFC’s decision to deny the organization funding due to a policy violation.

MCSC members said in their appeal they see a “double standard” in SSFC’s treatment of policy violations as well as inconsistencies with how appeals should be filed and requested to freeze SSFC’s budget and deny it funding for one year.

Vines said SSFC’s internal budget affects funding allocation, so budget denial could result in groups that had been given money from SSFC not being able to spend it.

Additionally, SSFC heard the funding request from the Campus Women’s Center, a student organization that provides support services and brings awareness to diverse gender-based issues women and other members of the campus face.

Rep. Michael Babcock asked CWC members why the group’s requested amount for its Campus Safety Campaign was significantly lower than in previous years.

In the past, the group spent more money on safety whistles, flashlights and self-defense workshops, but they were less effective than the organization desired, according to a CWC representative.

SSFC will rule on CWC’s budget Monday.