Shell track reopens, two basketball courts still damaged

The Shell, also known as the Camp Randall Memorial Sports Center, reopened Tuesday at 4:30 p.m., with the exception of two basketball courts.

Most of the facility closed Sep. 22 after a burst pipe flooded the track and basketball courts with water.

Recreational Sports Director John Horn said Rec Sports is uncertain what caused the pipe, which  part of a fire protection line, to break but said it was originally installed in 1956.

“Old age is certainly a possibility,” Horn said.

The track, fitness areas and two basketball courts have been approved for recreational use, Horn said. However, he said the Athletic Department will need to work with the NCAA to address any remaining “imperfections” in order to host Division 1 athletic meets.

Horn said the track, fitness area and two other basketball courts were sufficiently flattened by a procedure where a weight roller was pulled across the floor.

To fix the two remaining courts, Horn said Rec Sports needs to bring in floor vendors to make recommendations for the next steps. However, he hopes any renovations will have minimal impact on students and will be scheduled over a break.

“We’re going to try to make sure that if we have to do any major renovation to the floor… we do it at a time when the students aren’t going to be as impacted. So right now is not an ideal time to have the building closed,” Horn said.

Electricity routing will also need to be replaced, but Horn said this should not impact use of the facility.

Horn said Rec Sports does not yet know how much the damage will ultimately cost, as they are in the process of filing insurance claims.

Horn said he is eager to begin Shell operations again.

“We’re pretty excited … everybody was pretty patient with us, but understandably they were also frustrated. So I’m glad we’re getting it back open.”