New smartphone application launches at Fresh Market

Fetch Rewards, a Madison-based application creator, launched its grocery shopping application Friday at Fresh Madison Market.

The smartphone mobile app allows customers to scan item barcodes in the store as they shop, and the application tracks the scanned items to keep a running price total.

Most of the people on the 12-person team who launched the app are UW-Madison students, former students or graduates.

CEO Wes Schroll said they have already added 600 users to the system in the past three and a half days. He added that the response has been successful, as there have been users who have come back two or three times to use the app.

“It’s crazy to see people with a smile on their faces when they’re in the middle of an aisle scanning their groceries,” UW-Madison senior and Vice President of Operations Tyler Kennedy said.

Kennedy added there have been some glitches, but the team has been at Fresh over the weekend to help with any problems.

“It’s a new way of shopping so people are a little confused about how it works and we’re just here to help them out,” he said.

The app also rewards customers who purchase items from certain brands Fetch Rewards has partnered with and connects them to coupons, Schroll said.

Fresh Market employee Katie Robertson said she thinks the store will definitely use the app in the near future, particularly because of how it helps during “rush-hour” times.

According to Kennedy, right now the team is working to make sure Fresh Market is successful with the app, but within the next few weeks the company will begin considering other grocery stores to partner with.