Holy Ghost!’s latest is a mildly satisfying effort

Many of us may not be familiar with Alex Frankel and Nick Millhiser, the two New York City natives who make up Holy Ghost!, a synthpop duo with heavy disco and funk influences. The boys have been working together under various group names since the early 2000s and are now known for creating catchy ’70s and ’80s club tunes. The duo recently released their second album, Dynamics.

The group’s single “Dumb Disco Ideas,” released in May of this year, is clearly one of the album’s strong points. At around eight minutes long, the track serves as a solid indie electropop summer anthem. It’s length alone makes the song an ambitious endeavor and it’s one the duo pulls off quite well with variations in the ’80s-inspired synthpop melody mixed with lighthearted lyrics (“Put it off, and off, and wait, and wait for another day/Put it off if it’s for another day!”) Some of the other strengths of the album are “It Must Be The Weather,” a depressing take on the ’80s pop ballad, as well as the more optimistic and groovy jam “Dance A Little Closer.” But the other eight tracks have little to offer. The album ends on a low point with “Cheap Shots,” a track that feels overdone. The eclectic music clashes with the song’s upbeat lyrics to make it a bit harsh on the ears.

For any listeners familiar with the group’s self-titled debut album from 2011, Dynamics might be a bit of a disappointment. It’s songs feel less lively and sharp when compared with 2011 tracks like “Do It Again” or “Hold On.” Although the album has two or three catchy songs, there’s nothing revolutionary to be heard here. With growing competition in the electropop industry, Holy Ghost! should look to step up their game in the future.

Rating: C