Chris Borland

Football: Wisconsin defense looks to ground Hawkeyes for Heartland Trophy

Wisconsin (3-1 Big Ten, 5-2 overall) will travel to Kinnick Stadium in Iowa to battle over the Heartland Trophy with the Hawkeyes (2-2, 5-3). The two teams are tied 42-42-2 in their historic meetings. Iowa is coming off of a win over Northwestern and Wisconsin is fresh off their second bye-week of the month.

The bye-week came at the perfect time for redshirt senior linebacker Chris Borland, who was injured in Wisconsin’s last game at Illinois. Borland, suffering from a right hamstring injury, sat out the last three quarters of the Badgers’ victory over the Fighting Illini.

Borland currently leads Wisconsin with 35 solo tackles and 57 total tackles. The Badger inside linebacker is a semifinalist for both the Chuck Bednarik Award, presented to the outstanding defensive player of the year, and the Butkus Award, given to the top linebacker in the country. Borland has yet to practice this week but defensive coordinator Dave Aranda is optimistic that one day of practice, if Borland participates in Thursday’s practice, will be enough for the experienced Wisconsin senior.

“Usually no, but I think with him yes just cause of how much he’s into it and the notes he takes,” Aranda said when asked if one day of practice was enough. “A lot of it is stuff that we’ve done with our offense throughout fall camp. It’s the new things that he’s been to task with mentally. We’ll have to see what comes of it tomorrow.”

The Badgers have the players to step up in the absence of Borland. Redshirt junior linebacker Marcus Trotter and junior linebacker Derek Landisch both have recorded five solo tackles in four games played this season. Trotter has 14 total tackles and Landisch has one recorded sack this season.

“Trotter is running with the one defense at [inside linebacker] and today we had Landisch get two reps at the [inside linebacker] and so Landisch is being the two rover and two [inside linebacker] and we’re going to have a look at Ethan (Armstrong) at rover tomorrow,” Aranda said. “Whether Borland comes in or not, we will be ready either way.”

Wisconsin will be playing the second worst scoring offense in the conference. Iowa has scored over 28 points just once this season in their win over Western Michigan.

Hawkeyes redshirt sophomore quarterback Jake Rudock has passed for 1,616 yards this season and leads the team with five rushing touchdowns. Redshirt junior running back Mark Weisman leads the team with 732 yards rushing.

Iowa’s threat at tight-end is senior C.J. Fiedorowicz who has four touchdowns and 153 receiving yards this season.

The Badgers will fight to keep the coveted Heartland Trophy in their battle against the Hawkeyes Saturday in Iowa City.