Whiteskins Team Logo

Fake News Friday: Whiteskins refuse to change team name

In response to a statement given by Mexican President Enrique Nieto on Wednesday that advised the Mexico City Whiteskins to change their organization’s name, team owner Danny Trejo vowed to never alter the historic brand.  Already, the Mexican Association for the Advancement of White People (MAAWP) and NASCAR fan groups are up in arms over what they claim is an extreme display of cultural insensitivity on the part of the Whiteskins.

In an interview yesterday, MAAWP Director Bob Jones reiterated his disapproval of the team’s stance.

“It’s ridiculous, the team’s whole brand is built on racist imagery.  Just look at their logo: a smoking white man with a mullet and a Dale Earnhardt Junior hat.  Not to mention the camouflage and blaze orange uniforms,” Jones said. “The fact that the Mexican Futbol League (MFL) hasn’t done something about this just shows how out of touch they are.”

MFL Commissioner Rogelio Biendell, who has received increasing pressure from citizens of the American south regarding the name, said that a meeting had been scheduled between the Whiteskins management and the MAAWP.  

Unsurprisingly, Biendell also expressed his support for the name’s continuation: “The Whiteskins’ name is a term of respect and bravery, not an epithet toward members of the cast of Duck Dynasty.  Besides, national data shows that only 20 percent of North Americans take offense to the name.  It’s okay to hurt people as long as you’re only hurting a minority of them.”