Fair-Trade coffee companies give a whole new meaning to your purchases

In this day and age, with our fast-paced lifestyles, countless responsibilities and stressful lives, there is no wonder why we turn to coffee for a pick-me-up. Coffee has become integrated into so many of our lives. We drink it on our morning commute, meet for coffee meetings or try to find some relaxation in a local coffee shop. Many of us buy our coffee but never think of where it actually comes from.

A few local coffee shops have started to think about their impact by selling Fair Trade coffee. Many times Fair Trade coffee can assist in farmers escaping poverty; promise them a minimum price on their coffee and support the link between farmers and importers, which in turn creates long-term sustainability. Through these sustainable practices, farmers then can earn better incomes, allowing them to hold on to their land and invest in quality.

One local business has adopted this Fair Trade coffee mission and has also done acts of social justice to promote sustainability to go one step further than just buying coffee. Redamte Coffee House has taken it upon itself to empower individuals, organizations and communities to participate in restorative entrepreneurship. This means that Redamte is constantly asking itself how it as a business can make the world better. This mission rooted in community has helped change the lives of many Fair Trade coffee growers.

Redamte Coffee House, located on the second floor on the corner of State and Broom Streets isn’t only empowering coffee growers abroad but also sharing the mission within the Madison community. The cafe, run by solely volunteers and a handful of staff, is changing the way people think about coffee. Instead of just offering that simple morning cup of coffee, it is starting a movement, in which buying coffee goes further.