Dr. Dog experiences some growing pains on 'B-Room'

Dr. Dog released their eighth album B-Room on Monday, merely a year after coming out with their top 50 album, Be The Void. It’s all the same; the rhythms, the instrumentals, the lyrics, the influence. Heavily inspired by artists such as The Beach Boys, the band from Philadelphia hasn’t really ventured out and experimented with anything beyond those parameters. Despite the fact that the album was recorded in their newly built studio, which is also cheekily named the B-Room, the band failed to produce any substantially new or innovative tracks.

Out of all the tracks, the second song, “Broken Heart,” strays the furthest from anything the band has done before. Whether it’s the change of pace or heavy percussion, the band successfully stepped outside their comfort zone and added a more modern flare to their 1960s style. The only other track that also steps outside the box is an a cappella song, “Mt. Slippery.” The song reminds me of something that could be produced by Fleet Foxes—just more humorous. My personal favorite track off the album, however, has to be “Too Weak to Ramble.” The song is definitely the most raw, consisting of just lead singer Scott McMicken’s voice and his guitar.

Despite the few wins for Dr. Dog, the rest of the album is far less experimental and less engaging. While tracks such as “The Truth” bring back fond memories of some of the band’s old work, I was hoping they were going to reinvent themselves, especially considering the band’s new space and style of recording. While I have been a fan of Dr. Dog since their 2010 album, Shame Shame, I think there is definitely some “B-Room” for improvement to be made.

Rating: C