DIY: Chevron print canvas

Do it yourself: Making an original canvas

Welcome back for another round of low key and low cost craft making! After a weekend of crazy Halloween shenanigans and festivities, what is a better way to relax than by a lazy hour of crafternoon delight?

When picking this month’s DIY project, I must say I was slightly biased: With the recent scramble and stress to sign a lease and find an apartment for next year, I’ve become flooded with ideas of how best to decorate the bland, beige walls of my future living room. There’s always the classic black and white posters, sorority letters and framed photos that scream college life, but being the creative, right-brained thinker that I am, I wanted to add a bit of a personalized spin to my walls. Thus, the Pinterest-inspired, chevron patterned wall art was born.

What You’ll Need:

1. A plain white canvas

2. Blue masking tape

3. Tempera paint of any color (spray paint would work as well)

4. A paint brush

5. A black sharpie or permanent marker

Chevron Print Song Lyrics Canvas:

1. Begin by cutting the masking tape into rows of the zigzag pattern needed to create the chevron look. Make sure the tape is pressed down firmly so when painting, the white zigzags remain spot free and really pop.

2. After selecting or mixing a desired paint color, paint across the canvas, tape included, so the color coats the entire surface. Make sure the paint is evenly distributed, and coat the canvas more than once if needed.

3. Once the canvas is completely covered in the paint, let it sit for an hour before removing the tape. Be careful when peeling the strips of tape off so as not to accidentally chip away any of the paint is meant to help create the colored zigzags. If this happens, feel free to use a small, detailing paintbrush to touch up any trouble spots.

4.Now for the fun part! If the paint is 100 percent dry, you may now write whatever you want in black sharpie across the chevron pattern. I chose to use lyrics from the song “Drops of Jupiter” just because I thought they spoke to me, but feel free to put whatever message you want to send to the world on that canvas. If you want, you can add some lighthearted doodles and borders around the words, as I found this gives the canvas something extra.

5. Mount that baby on the wall and give yourself a pat on the back because guess what — you did it! You have just created your very own bit of wall art, an original you can proudly put on your walls for everyone to see. And don’t worry, those snobby girls down the hall will never be able to top this one.