UW professor serves on federal election commission under Obama

University of Wisconsin-Madison political science professor Barry Burden will testify at a commission meeting in Cincinnati, Ohio, Sept. 20 regarding his research under a bipartisan presidential commission exploring how to improve federal elections.

The Presidential Commission on Election Administration was officially established in March and studies federal elections. The commission will provide advice to Obama as early as December about how to develop areas such as absentee ballot programs and accessibility to oversees voters.

The formation of the commission is a response to voting complications reported during the November 2012 presidential election, when voters waited in line for up to six hours in some locations to cast ballots, according to the release.

Burden has already authored two papers for the commission, on absentee voting by mail and early voting, as well as on poll workers, according to the release.

“It’s exciting, frankly, to have your scholarship seriously considered by a commission that will make recommendations to the President of the United States,” he said in the release.