UW-Madison releases progress on strategic framework goals

University of Wisconsin-Madison Provost Paul DeLuca released a report Tuesday highlighting the areas in which the university has made progress on 2009 Campus Strategic Framework goals.

The framework was established to create objectives for the university such as maintaining an “exemplary” undergraduate program, reviving the school’s commitment to the public, investing in high-impact research and academic areas, recruiting qualified and diverse faculty and using resources responsibly.

The framework was created to take place over five years, beginning in 2009. In its fourth year, the university is well on its way to reaching its five-year goals, according to a university release.

The report gives examples of the university’s accomplishments in creating a prosperous undergraduate class. For instance, the percentage of students participating in “Wisconsin Experience” activities, such as independent study and residential learning communities, has risen.

The university also created programs to benefit the public, according to the report. For instance, the UW Law School worked to provide legal counsel for underserved populations, and UW-Madison began leading the charge to find dairy production techniques that lessen the amount of greenhouse gas emissions.

Also detailed in the report were investments UW-Madison has made in scholarly areas, including opening a new base for the School of Human Ecology. Researchers also studied topics such as bullying prevention and were part of the collaboration that lead to the discovery of the Higgs boson molecule.