SSFC to form committee to review student organization funding eligibility

The Associated Students of Madison Student Services Finance Committee has plans to form a new committee that would evaluate the eligibility criteria for funding from the General Student Services Fund, SSFC Chair David Vines said at an ASM Coordinating Council meeting Thursday.

The General Student Services Fund supplies money to registered student organizations that provide direct services to students by meeting SSFC eligibility criteria.

Student organizations have to prove to SSFC they provide a direct service to students in order to receive GSSF funding.

Formation of the committee requires Student Council approval, according to Vines.

Vines said he hopes SSFC can change the eligibility criteria so people involved in the process are more satisfied with the outcome, and he wants to see the changes pass by the end of the session.

According to Vines, ASM representatives have tried to change the eligibility criteria in the past, but the process is “almost universally hated,” so it was often put off until the end of the session, which led to inaction on the issue.

Vines said SSFC is trying to get a head start on the process this session by forming the committee, which would review the current criteria and propose changes and new criteria by the end of December.

SSFC would review the proposal in the start of the spring semester and ideally, vote on it in mid-February, according to Vines. SSFC would then take the proposal to the Student Council for introduction and approval, which requires Student Council to vote its approval in two consecutive meetings.

Following Student Council approval, SSFC has another opportunity to amend the proposal or veto it, Vines said.

The committee would be open to all SSFC members and alumni from GSSF groups who have been involved in the eligibility process, and possibly members of the Coordinating Council, according to Vines.