Report highlights improvement areas for UW Human Resources

An outside risk management firm presented the University of Wisconsin Board of Regents with a report Friday claiming the UW Human Resources System still contains a number of structural and functional issues that need to be addressed.

UW System President Kevin Reilly solicited the risk assessment report after the state Legislative Audit Board reported in January that the UW system had overpaid its employees almost $33 million in health and retirement benefits.

The PricewaterhouseCoopers report, which was released in the form of a summary, acknowledged the HR System had already begun to work out some of the issues the firm identified. But, the report also highlighted steps the system needed to take to improve, such as implementing a stronger governance structure and better employee training.

Additionally, the report said the HR System needs to develop a better system of determining the access employees have to sensitive information based on their credentials.

Regents’ responses to the information varied, according to a UW System news summary. Regent Margaret Farrow said she is displeased with the number of remaining issues and said UW system’s circumstances were “outrageous.”

Regent Janice Mueller said she was aware the UW system had a pattern of problems with information technology systems. Still, she said it was crucial to recognize the system had taken a positive step in ordering the report.

The Wisconsin State Journal reported the PWC assessment cost $50,000.

In addition to the report, Reilly also ordered a state audit. According to the Wisconsin State Journal, the Board of Regents will hear the results of the audit this fall.