shot fired on Langdon

Police identify two suspects in armed robbery attempt Wednesday

Madison police identified two suspects Friday responsible for a Wednesday armed robbery on campus as Ramar Brown and Donte Hunter, both 17, and charged them tentatively with robbery, according to a police report.

One shot was fired on the 100 block of Langdon Street following the armed robbery on the 100 block of Gilman Street that went wrong at approximately 6:20 p.m. Sept. 18, according to the report.

Madison Police Department spokesperson Joel DeSpain said at a press conference a 19-year-old man was robbed at gunpoint of his backpack, wallet and keys on the 100 block of West Gilman Street. DeSpain said the suspects targeted the victim, who “appears to be a MATC student.”

MPD detectives believe a friend of the victim pursued the suspect on foot as he headed toward the 100 block of Langdon Street, where one shot was fired, according to DeSpain. Police are still unsure if it was into the air or aimed at a person.

University of Wisconsin-Madison Police apprehended one of the suspects at a bus stop on Observatory Drive near the top of Bascom Hill, DeSpain said. MPD officers located the second suspect near the intersection of Gilman and Henry streets.

DeSpain said officers are still searching for additional evidence and witnesses. However, police have recovered the backpack that was stolen from the victim, according to the report.

During the investigation, university officials sent six WiscAlerts to inform UW-Madison students on the status of the search. More information on signing up for WiscAlerts for future emergencies can be found at go.wisc.edu/wiscalerts.

DeSpain said police do not have enough information to link this armed robbery to the recent string of armed robberies in the UW-Madison campus area but said detectives are investigating all possible connections.

“We really would like to get these people off the streets,” DeSpain said. “If these two people turn out to be connected to those crimes it would be good for the citizens of all of Madison, particularly the students down on campus.”

Dana Kampa and Megan Stoebig contributed to this report.